Tuesday, January 3, 2012

How do you prefer to shop for makeup and skincare?


I found growing up that my mother would prefer to get a catalog from her Avon lady through the local hair salon, than go into a department store to talk to the gals at the beauty counter. once she tried and found a brand she liked, she stuck to it. (She probably got it as a gift first and then decided to reorder when she ran out.) Nowadays you can shop from many direct sales companies like Arbonne much in the same way. (I think she found it less intimidating as she didn't know much and didn't really want to bother.)


If they had the internet back then, she'd have probably bought things online, had them shipped home and tried them out that way.) Although return policies vary from company to company,  most don't take back opened merchandise, so I'd have probably ended up with "gifts" from time to time.


Personally, I like trying things and asking questions. So I'm more of a hands on kind of shopper. Although, I too find the department store approach a bit much -- you're on their turf and they're eager to show you "everything." It can be a bit much if you're not ready for the information overload. I have found the pharmacies that have beauty sections with a consultant are a little more approachable. It's a good place to start if you just have some basic questions about what cleanser to use, or how to find makeup that looks good on your skin.


I know the specialty stores like , The Body Shop, MAC and Sephora are really amazing to wander around in - like Disney World of skincare/cosmetics stores, but unless you know what you're looking for, sometimes you come off as a little uneducated.(I personally didn't know what foundation primer was for the longest time. To me is sounded like supplies to build a home! LOL) But if you are willing to be patient you can learn a lot from a helpful clerk. Don't be afraid, just ask.


I will admit to some bias as I've worked both at Bath & Body Works and in Mary Kay. I liked that they'd let you try something on your hand and wash it off at the sink. They wanted you to try stuff, because then you'd know before you put any money down what you were getting into. Also, they seemed to encourage you with a satisfaction guarantee -- I'm sure other stores do it too -- but I personally knew they honored it as a former employee.


I guess, the less folks feel at risk of losing money or feeling stupid, the more comfortable they will feel shopping. (I'm absolutely certain there are some very sharp women out there who are fearless, know their stuff and could teach the clerks a thing or two, but they're probably in the minority.) The rest of us are a bit lost in all the terminology and trends. All they want is to just look good.


In the end it's good that there's no one way to do it. So whatever method of shopping works for you, kudos!

No comments:

Post a Comment