Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Uggs – Warm, cute, but are they good for your feet?

Let me just say right off the bat, I don't wear Uggs or any other brand of sheepskin "boot." I think they're overdone slippers and they lack anything practical. They have no arch support, aren't waterproof, and because they don't have any way to vent the heat and moisture from your foot (socks or no socks) it's a prime home for bacteria and foot fungus.


That being said, much like slippers, they're comfy. My sister-in-law who (shall remain nameless to protect her identity) LOVES hers and has more than one pair in different colors/styles. Maybe it has more to do with the idea that the celebrities wear them, so why shouldn't the common folk?


Personally, being of the piscean persuasion, I truly believe as my zodiac sign reigns over the feet, that it's no surprise I have small feet to support a short, round person and constantly have foot troubles. (From foot and back pain to athletes foot -- if I don't wear supportive shoes or "air out" my feet respectively.) My problems aside, I've researched it and found that I'm not alone in my beliefs.


Podiatrists have also claimed that this boot design does not always provide the stability that some people need and the heel often rolls towards the inner edge of the boot. This can be a sign that the arches of the feet are weakening and may be at risk from a strain injury and discomfort and pain are often the result. Using UGG-like boots to keep your feet warm makes sense but walking longer distances in them may give you more than you bargained for. Sacrificing comfort for style can come at a price. (Much in the same way you wouldn't wear stilettos all day and night without a break, or to run a marathon.)


If you have healthy feet, and wear them for comfort not "walking" you'll probably be fine. But if you already have foot problems, such as myself, your best bet is to treat them as indoor shoes/slippers or not wear them at all.


(Well at least during the summer you have an alternative to the flip flop - which I feel is equally as bad as the Ugg-like boot. Maybe you'd be better off with a pair of Crocs! At least they've been approved by the American Podiatric Medical Association for helping to eliminate plantar pain and achy feet. Now if only they could come out with a winterized version...)

No comments:

Post a Comment