Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Here Comes the Sun

I spent a lovely weekend in Maine - and a good portion of it outside. I had the good sense to wear my sunglasses and keep most of my body covered. I even had SPF in my foundation. But I forgot to put some kind of sunblock on my neck and chest. I ended up with a pink heart shape on my front side by that evening!

Now I'm sure we've all forgotten to put sunblock on some part of ourselves when going out. I'll be the first to admit that some days I don't bother at all. However, I'm doing myself a disservice when I forgo the sunblock. In my opinion we all should seriously consider using sunscreen every day (Yes, even when it's overcast out.)

Did you know that consumers generally apply only 1/2 to 1/5 the necessary amount of sunscreen for proper protection? An easy way to solve this problem: increase the amount of sunscreen you use and more importantly, re-apply after swimming and sweating. Wearing sunscreen does not give you a license to sit in direct sun. And remember, don’t be shy…re-apply!

Skin cancer is a very real and serious problem. 80 percent of the lifetime damage to the skin happens before the age of 18, so incorporating sunscreen application in to your family’s daily routine is an important prevention measure. Do your homework, read labels but don’t panic. Enlist the help of your dermatologist and ask lots of questions. Let us not forget that sunscreen use should always be enhanced by hats and sun protective clothing.

Important 3-letter words:


SPF stands for Sun Protection Factor.A sunscreen with an SPF of 15 filters 92% of the UVB. Put another way, a sunscreen with an SPF of 15 will delay the onset of a sunburn in a person who would otherwise burn in 10 minutes to burn in 150 minutes. The SPF 15 sunscreen allows a person to stay out in the sun 15 times longer.

UVA is the dominant tanning ray, and we now know that tanning, whether outdoors or in a salon, causes cumulative damage over time. A tan results from injury to the skin’s DNA; the skin darkens in an imperfect attempt to prevent further DNA damage. These imperfections, or mutations, can lead to skin cancer.

UVB, the chief cause of skin reddening and sunburn, tends to damage the skin’s more superficial epidermal layers. It plays a key role in the development of skin cancer and a contributory role in tanning and photo-aging.

There is currently no uniform measure of UVA absorption. There are broad-spectrum sunscreens that protect against UVA and UVB radiation although it is important to remember that the SPF does not predict UVA protection.

No comments:

Post a Comment